By Norman W. Schur, Eugene H. Ehrlich
British English A to Zed supplies readers rapid entry to an alphabetical directory of both the hundreds of thousands of "Briticisms" brought up within the normal entries or the correlating "Americanisms" that seem during the publication. This up to date variation gains greater than 5,000 entries, together with new phrases, either formal and slang, and phrases from assets as varied as London companies and Bridget Jones's Diary.
Read Online or Download British English A to ZEd, Revised & Updated Edition (Facts on File Library of Language and Literature) PDF
Best linguistics books
The concept that of the standard, besides such cognates as way of life, traditional language and usual event, has come into distinctive prominence in late-modern philosophy. Thinkers have hired opposing but comparable responses to the suggestion of the standard: medical and phenomenological ways at the one hand, and at the different, extra casual or maybe anti-scientific systems.
This quantity deals a primary survey of initiatives from all over the world that search to enforce Creole languages in schooling. not like prior works, this quantity takes a holistic technique. Chapters talk about the sociolinguistic, academic and ideological context of tasks, coverage advancements and undertaking implementation, improvement and evaluate.
British English A to Zed offers readers speedy entry to an alphabetical directory of both the millions of "Briticisms" brought up within the basic entries or the correlating "Americanisms" that seem during the booklet. This up to date variation positive aspects greater than 5,000 entries, together with new phrases, either formal and slang, and phrases from assets as different as London companies and Bridget Jones's Diary.
- Patterns in Sound, Patterns in Mind: Phonological Regularities in Speech Production
- Dagur Mongolian grammar, texts, and lexicon; based on the speech of Peter Onon
- Meeting the Standards in Primary English: A Guide to ITT NC
- Tzutujil Grammar (University of California Publications in Linguistics)
- Rethinking Grammaticalization: New Perspectives
- Language Maven Strikes Again
Additional info for British English A to ZEd, Revised & Updated Edition (Facts on File Library of Language and Literature)
The whole boiling, referring to a group of people, means the 'whole mob of them' but boiling can refer to the whole lot of anything. bollard, n. traffic post A bollard in both countries is a post on a ship or dock around which hawsers are tied. , a short post on a traffic island, to regulate traffic by barring passage in certain directions. t. Slang, bawl out Slang. It is a curious coincidence that this word resembles bollocks (see ballocks) and bollixed (as in, all bollixed up). ' bollocks. See ballocks.
Slang, ack-ack Slang. World War I for anti-aircraft guns. Ack-ack became World War II slang in both countries for both the guns and the fire. argue the toss Slang. Dispute needlessly. Slang, squabble argy-bargy a dispute Inf. A noisy wrangle. Also used as a verb: I grew accustomed to hearing them argybargy. Army and Navy Stores SEE COMMENT Army and Navy store in America is a generic term for a type of shop selling lowpriced work and sports clothes, sports and camping equipment, and the like. In London, it is the name of a particular department store selling general merchandise.
2. Slang. Synonymous with arfo'c, short slang for articulated lorry. , Slang. 1 . crooked; dishonest 2. homosexual be quiet! inter;. Inf. keep still! ' berk, n. approx. Slang, dope Slang. A fool who is also unpleasant. This word is heard in mixed company, but mightn't be if its origin were known. It is a shortening of Berkeley (pronounced Barkley), which is short for Berkeley Hunt, which is rhyming slang for cunt. berm, n. shoulder Of a road. Originally, a terrace between a moat and the bottom of a parapet.